Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Books & Movies For the Greater Good?

I have always wondered whether books that are made into movies are a good thing or not. I never really got settled into thinking it thoroughly through until tonight. I finally sat down and started to ponder whether a movie destroys the very unique essence of a book or enhances it. After a long debate among myself, I have finally come to a conclusion. I believe, like most things in the earth that it is both a blessing and a curse. (Please note that these are my personally opinions.)

Firstly, let me begin with the good part. I feel that whenever I read a book, I’d always want to know what a character actually looks like; I’d like to be able to put a face to that name. No matter how much or well the author describes a character, it is impossible for me to make up how he looks like. This is what a movie does for me; it gives me a face to the name. For example, The Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter. After watching those movies on the big screen, every time a particular character is mentioned, I would envision that person in the book acting it out as the person. That is what I feel the movie brings.

Now the bad part. Everyone knows that a movie can never live up to being nearly as close to being as good as the book. No matter what, the movie always seems to be undone. There is so much the book allows us to imagine that in no ways a movie can produce. Don’t you go to a movie that’s adapted from the book and at the end of it you’re left saying to your friend “Damn they skipped so many parts!” That’s what happens most of the time for me. Despite all the action and adventure the movie can bring through visual stimulation, it can never come close to what a book can provide. The book strikes up our imagination and creativity in ways impossible to comprehend. Reading a book feels exactly like you’re right there living in the exact moment when you’re reading it. It is something so utterly unique and distinct that nothing else in the world can match.

That’s all for now. Btw, my favorite book was recently made into a TV series. I’m about to go watch it right now but my initial impression is that the lead actor who plays Richard in the book is far from what I always envisioned when I read, AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY. If you guys are interested you can watch it from this link : http://www.sidereel.com/Legend_of_the_SeekerThe picture above shows the 2 main characters who plays Richard and Kahlan in the Legend of the Seeker series. Richard and Kahlan.

Cya

3 comments:

Natalie said...

It is hard to adapt from book to screen because of the different ways of portraying and telling the story. But that said, I hate it when directors change major parts of the book. Like in Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hated the backstory about Willie Wonka's dad. Bad dental messages aside, it ruined the story. I'm still reeling from the horrors of that movie.

newmediascapes said...

But isn't there room for creative licence?

newmediascapes said...

Why have you stopped updating your blog?